Wednesday, August 5, 2015

I am back!!!

So last year I tried to start a blog and of course as soon as school started I stopped writing. I have been reading blogs for the past 9 years, so why is it so hard for me to write my own? I have been pondering this question for sometime now. So, I will try again. Maybe if I have a purpose to this blogging, it might help me write more posts. My purpose this year will be to document, hopefully daily, what I am doing with my students. Last year I had an opportunity to do blended learning with geometry students and it went ok, but will be even better this year. Also, I incorporated a lot of hands-on engaging activities with my Precalculus students and I would like to share those with the world. Lets see if I can actually do it.

So for the first post of 2015 - 2016 school year, I would like to share some thoughts on activities that I have and would like to incorporate in my classroom. More lists, yeah!!!!

Lets start with Protocols. If you are not sure, protocols are just a name for activities that have a certain procedure to them. I learned about protocols when I started teaching in an Expeditionary Learning School. I love using protocols with my students, because I get 100% engagement and the students have such wonderful conversations during them. I do however change some of the protocols so they can work better in my classroom. So here is the list of protocols and the directions that I give my students:

Hosted Gallery Walk:
1. Work in your letter groups to complete two problems on chart paper (make sure you can explain what the group did to solve the problems). Post the chart papers on the wall.
2. Get into your number groups - you will host and attend a gallery walk
3. You will be given 5 min at each poster. The person from the group that has done the poster will be the host. The rest of the students will be the attendees.
4. Go to the first poster. Raise your hand if you are a host. Use clear voice and make eye contact as you present the content of your poster.
5. The rest of the students will be the attendees. You should be listening respectfully to the host. Copy down the completed problem on your notecatcher. Ask clarifying questions.
6. Now all groups move to the next poster on the right.
7. Raise your hand if you are a host. Use clear voice and make eye contact as you present the content of your poster.
8. The rest of the students will be the attendees. You should be listening respectfully to the host. Copy down the completed problem on your notecatcher. Ask clarifying questions.
9. Move to the right again and continue the process.

Gallery Walk with feedback: 
1. In your groups complete one problem and write it out on chart paper.  Post the chart paper on the wall.
2. Now you are going to leave feedback for other groups on their work.
3. Individually on each sticky note record feedback for the other groups.
    Include ONE of the following feedbacks:
(Delta) Something that may need to be changed.
(?) Question(s) that you may still have.
(!) Connection(s) that you have made with the your or another poster.

Carouse (my favorite):
1. Each group/pair gets a Different colored marker.
2. With your group/partner go to a poster.
3. Start labeling the poster and setting up equation to solve.
4. When I say stop, move one poster to the right, continue working on the problem that another group/pair started.
5. Continue to move to the right every time I tell you to stop. Finish the poster by checking your answer.
6. If you come to a poster that has already been completed, check all work and make a comment that it is completed.

Speed Dating:
1. Each student receives a card, works the problem on the card.
2. When completed, check your work with me.
3. Trade cards with the partner sitting across from you and work the problem on the new card.
4. You are now sitting across the "expert" for that problem. The "dates" can now discuss the problem until both dates are satisfied. Get your card back.
5. One row will now move one seat over.
6. Switch your card with your new date.
7. Continue the same process.

Jigsaw:
1. Your home group is denoted by a number, you will tell your home group all about your information on day 2.
2. Your expert groups is denoted by a letter. Get together with your expert group and using the links on my website, answer questions on your handout.
     - talk with your expert group
     - check your answers with your expert group
3. Go back to your home group and share out your answers.

Quiz - Quiz - Trade:
1. Pick up a card and solve the problem.
2. Find a partner and quiz them on your card. Then your partner quizzes you.
3. You must be paired up at all times. If you find yourself without a partner, put your hand in the air.
4. You can give your partner a clue to help them to get the answer right but not the answer itself.
5. Now find another person and continue the same process.
6. Be sensible moving around!
7. You are not allowed to return to someone you have already traded with.

Chalk Talk:
1. At your table you have a poster with a problem.
2. Write down anything that you know about this problem.
3. Every person has to participate.
4. You are responsible for writing, reading other people's comments and responding with writing.
5. All writing and responding is done in silence.

Round Table:
1. Complete your problem.
2. Pass your paper to the right.
3. Check the work of the other student and complete the second problem.
4. Continue the same procedure until you get your problem back.

Writing this out makes me feel really excited about this year, I can't wait to do all of them in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment