There are a few activities that I have used last year with my students for review before a test or a quiz. Here is the list with student description of each one:
Give one, get one, move on (GoGoMo):
1. On your handout write down 2 key learnings or important ideas about the topic.
2. Get up and mingle with your peers.
3. When I call about "GIVE ONE", form a pair and GIVE ONE person one item from your list, GET ONE idea from your partner. Record the idea on your sheet.
4. I will call out "MOVE ON", move and continue to mingle with your peers.
5. Repeat the process until all of the handout is complete.
Somethings to remember:
1. Everyone responds with content that was meaningful to them.
2. Everyone must participate.
3. Supports exchanges of different ideas.
4. If a student doesn't have a partner, form a group of three.
5. One answer per classmate.
Variation: There is a written version, where students write one key learning then pass the paper to someone else who writes another key learning and so on and so forth.
MATHO (math version of Bingo):
1. Number each box from 1 to 25, no free space.
2. With a random number generator, a student will choose a number. This number corresponds to a problem.
3. All students try solving the problem, putting your work and answer inside the box with that number.
4. Now another student uses a random number generator to pick another problem to complete.
5. Continue solving the problems and picking new once to complete until someone has a MATHO.
Variation: Instead of having students make a row vertically, horizontally or diagonally, you can also have them do just corners, x, etc...
1. Each group will answer a question on the review sheet.
2. Show me the work and the answer.
3. If the answer is incorrect, keep trying. If the answer is correct, elect a student to come up and try to score 5, 3, or 1 point shots.
4. Every person on the team has to have the opportunity to shoot.
5. Repeat the process until I tell you to stop.
Choose your own adventure (around the room):
1. You will find 10 multiple choice problems around the room.
2. Count off from 1 to 10 and go to that number problem.
3. Work on the problem and record both the problem number and the letter of the answer on your paper.
4. Now move to a problem specified by the answer.
5. Continue this process until all 10 problems have been completed.
6. If you find yourself back at the same number you already have worked on before working on all 10 problems, you have made an error along the way. You should retrace your steps to try to find your error.
Kahoot (Tech Activity!!!!):
1. Go to kahoot.it
2. Enter the displayed game-pin followed by your name.
3. Look on the smartboard for a question and the four answers. On your device you should see 4 answer buttons which correspond to the 4 displayed answer options on the smaprtboard.
4. Press on the button that you think corresponds to a correct answer. Now wait until everyone has answered.
5. These questions are timed and the faster you answer correctly, the more points you will get!
6. Continue the process until all the questions are answered.
Please leave a comment if you have other great suggestions for review activities.